Jul 5, 2010

No summer berries in Beijing

No matter what the season in Beijing, I rarely can find several types of fruits and berries. I would say that the things I'm looking for are pretty common in the US, but not apparently not in China. In particular:
  • raspberries
  • blueberries
  • grapefruit
In Beijing, I can find bayberries and mulberries from street peddlers occasionally. Try getting that at your neighborhood Safeway.



Despite those exotic offerings, there are never any blueberries or raspberries.



The only place I've found to get fresh blueberries and raspberries is at Jenny Lou's, an expensive imported goods store. The berries at Jenny Lou's are usually frozen. Last time I bought about 8 ounces of raspberries for around $2.50, and when I thawed them out, I discovered at least half of them were mushed and squished together. The only thing I could think to make is raspberry pancake topping.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home