Feb 13, 2010

Locals heading off...

I was checking out the events section of The Beijinger for this weekend's line-up of activities, when something caught my eye. They wrote:
Unfortunately, with most locals heading off to see Mum and Dad back in their home towns, live music offerings are thin on the ground for the next few weeks.
What's bizarre with this write up? True "locals" wouldn't be heading out of town for the holiday. If they're local, it would stand to reason that they'd stay in town to gather with their families in Beijing.

If a Chinese person is leaving Beijing to celebrate the lunar new year, you can be almost certain that he's a waidiren, an out-of-towner, a transplant, whatever you want to call it. True locals in Beijing have their roots in Beijing, so they wouldn't be leaving town on the most important of Chinese holidays.

I'm pretty sure that the writers at The Beijinger are native English speakers, but sometimes they could fool me. (And shouldn't it be "Mom and Dad"? Who says "Mum and Dad"? Nobody where I grew up, that's for sure!)

Here's a screen grab of the posting, because the events page gets refreshed each week:



So it looks like there's not going to be much live music or anything wild going on this weekend. Lucky for me I've got a newly purchased fifth of Jim Beam and many pounds of fireworks. Woo-hoo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home