Mar 26, 2009

Narcissistic personality inventory

On the March 18 Howard Stern show, one of the guests was Drew Pinsky, who came back with the results of the Narcissistic Personality Inventory that he gave out on a previous show. The results were fun to hear:
Robin is an "off the charts" narcissist

Drew laughed that Robin scored off the charts on the test: "She is the winner." Howard said the average score was a 15 and for a celebrity the average was 18 – Robin, however, came in at 34, which was the highest score of anyone...anywhere. Robin insisted Drew had fabricated the results, but Drew's co-author, Dr. Mark Young, insisted the results were very real - he's given the test to hundreds of people, and has yet to come across a higher score: "There are seven categories of narcissism, and she scored close to the maximum in every one...higher than 99% of the population."

Robin joked that the doctors might want to study her, and Drew replied, "The answer's yes. Of course." Drew then said Howard had a very healthy score, a 15, and credited his thrice-weekly treatment for keeping him grounded. Howard repeated his idea that Robin should undergo treatment/psychotherapy, but Robin resisted: "I work on myself! Drew, I'm really sick of you at this point...I believe these are all made-up numbers." Howard laughed: "Dr. Drew smiles when he looks at me and frowns when he looks at you."
I was curious to take the test myself, and it turns out that I'm pretty close to average, with an overall score of 16. They say that important thing is not just the overall number, but to figure out which traits are dominant. Vanity, entitlement, exhibitionism and exploitiveness is more cause for concern than someone who scores high on authority, self-sufficiency and superiority.

Here's how I scored by category:
  • Authority: 5
  • Self-sufficiency: 2
  • Superiority: 4
  • Exploitativeness: 3
  • Vanity: 1
  • Entitlement: 0
  • Exhibitionism: 1
Not sure how accurate or useful any of this is, but it's fun to see this sort of analysis. I would have guessed that I'd come out with a higher score for Self-sufficiency and a little higher for Entitlement, so the results were surprising to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home