Jan 18, 2009

Buying eggs

I was running low on eggs the other day, so I marked it on my grocery list. My local supermarket has eggs sold by the pound in plastic milk crates, and also pre-counted eggs in transparent hard plastic containers. I usually buy the bulk eggs to cut down on recycling waste, and also because I can purchase exactly as many as I want. Five eggs, thirty eggs, it doesn't matter, the price per weight is the same.

As I squatted down on the floor to sift through the eggs, I noticed a couple of chicken feathers mixed in the eggs. For some reason it made me think of the bird flu case in Beijng from earlier this month. In general, seeing some chicken feathers is not unusual at all, but it made me think to ask a grocery stock girl standing nearby, "These eggs don't have bird flu, do they?" Just an off the cuff remark to which I was expecting to get a "you're crazy" look, or at least a chuckle. Anyway, the stock girl stood there for about three seconds while she did some brain processing on my question, and then replied, in a very serious tone, "I don't know."

No-nonsense customer relations. I like it.

On the topic of eggs, here's an explanation on the difference between white eggs, which are the standard at Safeway and Kroger in the US, and brown eggs, which seem to be the standard in China.

3 Comments:

Blogger Vickie said...

haha;

I guess your serious look must had scared her, she couldn't even dare to tell the truth. Anyway, those are only very honest blank countryside girls

8:45 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

@Vickie:

I'll need to be less serious looking next time

5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if i were the girl I WOULD have told you : why not try some? if you die , that must be bird-flu haha

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home