Apr 3, 2008

Hosting visitors in Beijing

I've been pretty organized in the past when I've had family and friends from the US staying with me in Beijing. My checklist of supplies for visitors generally included:
  1. map of how to get to my apartment and workplace
  2. a local cell phone to contact me in case of taxi driver difficulties
  3. petty cash to get them started
  4. older editions of the Lonely Planet
Here are some new things that I've thought of to add to the list of supplies to give visitors are:

1. Copy of the Bristol stool chart
Each morning and evening, I'll do a quick status check of all visitors staying with me and get their stool type, 1 through 7. I'll aggregate this information and use it to plan the meal schedule. If they're still in the 1 through 3 range, we'll do some experimental local food. Number 4, traditional and clean local food. Number 5 through 7, pizza or other Western food.



2. Red track suit
Each person gets a track suit, like what these tour group members below are wearing. This will help me keep track of any visitors should they get lost in the crowd, and will aid in filing a missing person's report.

2 Comments:

Blogger Vickie said...

Are you serious about the new items added to the list of supplies, you scared me...

8:30 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

You're right. The red tracksuit may be a little too garish. When I get closer to hosting more visitors in the future, it could change to a more fashionable yellow tracksuit, or perhaps a navy blue one.

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home