Apr 13, 2007

Communal ma la tang

I regularly pass by quite a few communal ma la tang (hot and spicy soup) stands, which can be found along many of the smaller streets. Here are some photos of the shadiest looking one. I pass by this stand almost twice a day, and once in a blue moon I see a customer or two eating there. For the most part, the soup mixture and skewers of tofu and meat just stagnate there day after day, week after week.

If you're feeling bound up while you're in Beijing, let me know and I'll give you the location of this place. I can almost guarantee that chugging a cup of this stagnant soup will be twice as good a laxative as prune juice.

I generally will experiment and try any food at least once, because sometimes you discover something great in the process, but I'm still working my way up to this particular street food.

Stagnant soup to the left, skewers of stuff to the right:



Close up of the yummy ma la goodness:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home