Feb 20, 2005

Azithromycin and other apothecarial amusements

You can self-medicate to your heart's content in China. The other week I told the pharmacist I had a sore throat, and she wanted to sell me a package of azithromycin. I'll wait until I really need antibiotics and just take herbal remedies for cold symptoms.


I ended up taking something called 肺宁颗粒, which I would translate as "peaceful lung pellets". It's an herbal mixture that you dissolve in hot water and drink three times daily, and I think it was quite effective for reducing my symptoms. If they can think of a better translation than I came up with for the product name, they can probably give Tylenol a run for their money in western markets.


On the subject of medicine, I was looking at my stash of pharmaceuticals that I brought with me. The inventory is reminiscent of Hunter S. Thompson's drug collection at the start of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, but lacking the narcotics and hallucinogens: “two bags of Halls cough drops, seventy-five pellets Cipro, five sheets of transdermal scopolamine, a ziplock bag of malarone and a whole galaxy of Pepto-Bismol and Immodium.”

1 Comments:

Blogger sCruuw said...

Hunter S. Thompson blew his brains out yesterday!

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/22/books/22thompson.html

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home